home
SUNDIALS IN TOURAINE AND ELSEWHERE
back to Paris


français

SAINT-EUSTACHE CHURCH
Place René Cassin

-

Construction of this church started in 1532 during the reign of François the 1st. It is one of the largest churches in Paris. The south wall has two sundials: a big one on the top in the tympanum and a meridian on the left just above the gate.
The astronomer, Le Monnier, used this sundial to set his telescope. The pierced disk, which was serving as a gnomon to indicate hours, no longer exists.